Johnny Rawls is a soul blues legend. In fact, the term “soul blues” was invented to describe his music. With a career spanning more than 50 years, he’s done it all. He’s an internationally recognized recording artist, music producer, and songwriter who tours extensively throughout North America and overseas.
The Blues Music Awards, Blues Blast Awards, Living Blues Awards, and the W. C. Handy Awards have all acknowledged Johnny with multiple awards and nominations, including Soul Blues Album of the Year and Soul Blues Artist of the Year. Living Blues Magazine described him as a “soul-blues renaissance man” when he was featured on the cover in 2002. Johnny is honored to be mentioned on two markers along the Mississippi Blues Trail – one in Hattiesburg, MS marking the Hi-Hat Club, and another in Rocklin ME marking the migration of blues from Mississippi to Maine.
This is also a celebration of life for Empress volunteer Charles Barnes.
Date(s) - Wed, Oct 11, 2023
5:30 pm to 8:30 pm
Empress Theatre Lounge
324 Virginia St., Vallejo
Upcoming events at this location
- Baxter Robertson - Wed, Dec 6, 2023 - 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm
- Evan Thomas Blues Band - Wed, Dec 13, 2023 - 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm
- Aki Kumar – Bollywood Blues - Wed, Dec 20, 2023 - 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm
- Timm Walker, Willy Jordan and Bob Welsh - Wed, Dec 27, 2023 - 12:00 am
- Kid Anderson and John “Blues” Boyd - Wed, Jan 3, 2024 - 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm
- Blues Defenders - Wed, Jan 10, 2024 - 12:00 am
- Terrie Odabi - Wed, Jan 17, 2024 - 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm
- Terrie Odabi - Wed, Jan 17, 2024 - 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm