Vallejo People’s Garden
The Vallejo People’s Garden is a community garden located on Mare Island. It is a collaboration of many different individual volunteers and partner organizations in Vallejo. All of these volunteers and supporters became involved because they believe in one (or more) of the VPG’s purposes:
- Promote health and wellness in our Vallejo community.
- Grow organic fruits and vegetables for those who are most in need.
- Improve our environment by taking care of water, soil, and wildlife.
- Create educational opportunities for children and adults.
- Encourage social and cultural connections across neighborhoods.
Vallejo People’s Garden is located behind 1055 Azuar Ave on Mare Island. You can find directions and more information on their webpage vallejopeoplesgarden.org.
Vallejo People’s Garden is developing programs to serve and empower the diversity of people in Vallejo and to promote a sustainable, secure, local food system:
Harvest Sharing Program provides Vallejo food banks, homeless centers, and senior lunch kitchens with fresh organic produce from the garden.
Workshops provide community members with low cost or free educational opportunities to learn about nutrition, hands-on sustainability and gardening skills.
Youth Connection educates school groups and engages the next generation in hands-on garden activities.
Youth Education engages groups, classes and neighborhood kids in on-farm activities and learning.
Green for Green sells seed starts to help sustain the VPG’s programs.