Get ready to get scared for a good cause! If the Mare Island Shoreline Preserve wasn’t scary enough at night this time of year…come out to our annual “NightMARE Island” The last of our fall fundraisers, it’s scheduled for 8 nights, Thursdays – Sundays, October 22-25, 29-31 and November 1. Open from 5-9pm each evening.
The Mare Island Shoreline Heritage Preserve is a 501C3 non-profit.
Your host again for the event – “The man with one foot in the world of the living and the other foot six feet under…” is THE UNDERTAKER, and he has so much planned for your visit! Attendees are encouraged to bring their own flashlights and come in costume. This is an all-ages event, though some of the attractions may be more suited to the 13 and older crowd, and they will be marked.
*Explore the 4 WW1-era historic ammunitions bunkers, where sorry souls are trapped…they are looking forward to a visit from you, they are so lonely! All new sets this year, including from Vallejo Shakespeare in the ‘Dark,’ and Scott & Trina of A Fightening Scene return!
*Join The Undertaker on a tour of the Navy’s oldest cemetery in the west, with graves dating back to the 1850’s, nightly at 6:30pm.
*Hike to the highest point on Mare Island, on the 1 mile long paved trail to visit the Spirit Ship, and take in the 7-county twinkling view. (NEW) If the hike is a bit much in your deadliest finery, maybe hitch a ride in The Undertaker’s hearse!
Bring a picnic dinner to enjoy under the string lights on the old tennis court next to the cemetery.
There will also be outdoor displays, and more than a few zombies to assist you if you happen to get lost… And multiple sound installations by Re:Sound artist Jen Boyd
- Special processions/paranormal investigations with Soulseekers Paranormal Research are at 7:30pm, on Oct 22, 23, 24, 29 & 30 (more may be added).
- Doctor Burgundy’s Electrostatic Medicine Show 5-9pm, on October 22-25 & 29th, under the tent on the old tennis court.
NEW this year – THEME NIGHTS! These are free additions to our programming this year, with ticket/donation to NightMARE Island!
- Thursday, Oct 22 – HALLOWEEN MARKET NIGHT Our vendors will have lots of artistically and appropriately spooky items, curiosities, costume pieces, makeup or decorative items for purchase! So much cooler than any store… (Located inside the Visitor’s Center)
- Friday, Oct 23 – COSPLAY COSTUME NIGHT Come on out in your finery and we’ll even have a costume contest with trophy and $100 1st place prize. (Located inside the Visitor’s Center)
- Saturday, Oct 24 – PARANORMAL INVESTIGATOR Meet & Greet Night Come meet local and regional investigators, ask questions, learn about the tools of the trade and check out their presentations. Later, join with them on an open investigation. (Located inside the Visitor’s Center)
- Sunday, Oct 25 – CREATURE FEATURES MOVIE NIGHT! Do you remember the great local Horror Hosts Bob Wilkins, or John Stanley? Creature Features on Saturday nights was a highlight of many a schlocky spooky movie fan back in the 1970s & ’80s in the Bay Area. Our own ‘Bob Wilkins Jr’ will be here to show “Watch Horror Films, Keep America Strong” by filmmaker Tom Wyrsch, a rollicking documentary on the long-running TV show, CREATURE FEATURES, sure to amuse and confuse you! (Located inside the Visitor’s Center) more info: https://www.facebook.com/events/914507085299626/
- Sunday, Nov 1 – DIA DE LOS MUERTOS We will again observe this traditional Meso-American holiday with a community altar in the Visitor’s Center, and we encourage attendees to add their items to our altar/ofrenda, to honor our ancestors and loved ones that have passed away, as well as celebrate their lives and our connection to them. There will be a procession to our historic cemetery at 7:30pm.
- And so much MORE… Keep checking back, you won’t be able to live with yourself if you miss any of it!
TICKETS – Available in advance or by donation at door:
To Pre-purchase tickets: (http://nightmareisland.brownpapertickets.com/), and club memberships help to put this great event on and support the year-round accessibility of the Preserve. There are many available perks for pre-purchasing your ticket at the different price levels, including charter membership of The Undertaker’s Fiend Club, personalized ‘Death Certificates’ signed by The Undertaker, Unlimited Visits to NightMARE Island, as well as at the $100 level, a personalized wooden grave marker in the The Undertaker’s Garden, at NightMARE Island. These are all non-transferable, but giftable!
At the Door Entry Donation: Age 15 & older, $2-10 sliding scale. Children & under 15, Free.
To volunteer for this event, email
Date(s) - Sat, Oct 31, 2015
5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Mare Island Shoreline Heritage Preserve
1595 Railroad Avenue, Vallejo
Upcoming events at this location