The AAFRC organizes Vallejo’s annual Juneteenth Celebration on the third Saturday in June. This free event attracts over 2,000 visitors and provides an opportunity for the entire community to participate in the national observance of this historic event in our country. The AAFRC partners with local non-profit and for-profit health care organizations that provide free services to community members including immunizations, screenings, dental check-ups, etc. The event also emphasizes education as the key to a successful future and includes participation by local educational institutions and after school programs that seek to increase the number of African American students enrolling in college.
The AAFRC promotes youth awareness of Juneteenth through essay, poetry and art contests. Finally, promoting the entrepreneurial spirit is a strong component of Juneteenth and dozens of small business owners participate in the event as vendors and exhibitors offering a wide variety of products and services.
The overarching message is that Juneteenth is a time to celebrate our community’s cultural diversity while promoting access to quality healthcare and education opportunities, and supporting local businesses, all of which create healthy, thriving communities. The AAFRC receives no public funding for the Juneteenth Celebration and depends on the generosity of private businesses and community service organizations to help fund the event.
Find out more at http://www.vallejojuneteenth.com/
Date(s) - Sat, Jun 18, 2016
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
425 Alabama St, Vallejo
Upcoming events at this location
- Tai Chi - Fri, Dec 15, 2017 - 8:00 am
- Tai Chi - Mon, Dec 18, 2017 - 8:00 am
- Tai Chi - Tue, Dec 19, 2017 - 8:00 am
- Tai Chi - Wed, Dec 20, 2017 - 8:00 am
- Tai Chi - Thu, Dec 21, 2017 - 8:00 am
- Tai Chi - Fri, Dec 22, 2017 - 8:00 am
- Tai Chi - Mon, Dec 25, 2017 - 8:00 am
- Tai Chi - Tue, Dec 26, 2017 - 8:00 am
- Tai Chi - Wed, Dec 27, 2017 - 8:00 am
- Tai Chi - Thu, Dec 28, 2017 - 8:00 am
- Tai Chi - Fri, Dec 29, 2017 - 8:00 am
- Tai Chi - Mon, Jan 1, 2018 - 8:00 am
- Tai Chi - Tue, Jan 2, 2018 - 8:00 am