Artiszen is offering a FREE community screening of ‘I am”, an utterly engaging and entertaining non-fiction film that poses practical and provocative questions:
- What’s wrong with our world, and what can we do to make it better?
- How can you as an individual, and we as a race, improve the way we live and walk in the world?
Contrary to conventional thinking, cooperation and not competition, may be nature’s most fundamental operating principle. Consensus decision-making is the norm amongst many species, from insects and birds to deer and primates. The film further discovers that humans actually function better and remain healthier when expressing positive emotions, such as love, care, compassion, and gratitude, versus their negative counterparts, anxiety, frustration, anger and fear. Science is discovering a plethora of evidence about our hard-wiring for connection and compassion, from the Vagus Nerve which releases oxytocin at simply witnessing a compassionate act, to the Mirror Neuron which causes us to literally feel another person’s pain.
The acclaimed filmmaker behind the inquiry is Tom Shadyac.
We look forward to seeing you at Artiszen Cultural Arts Center
Love in Action: Save Mother Earth, Wage Peace! is a public awareness campaign bringing people and communities together to create alternatives to violence and war, linking outcomes of violence to environmental toxicity and degradation, and taking action to promote peace, sustainability, and restoration.
The campaign launches in Vallejo, February 2016, with a series of events and an art exhibit examining how militarism directly impacts the environment and all of our lives, highlighting alternatives and positive nonviolent solutions.
Love in Action: Save Mother Earth, Wage Peace!, through the #Humanize Not Militarize exhibit, invites viewers to consider what waging peace could actually look like. This will be an ongoing and sustained campaign with many opportunities for everyone to connect, get involved, and effect positive change.
- Feb. 11 Opening Reception & Community Presentation, 7–10 pm
- Feb. 12 Exhibit @ Vallejo 2nd Friday Art Walk, 5-10 pm
- Feb. 27 4th Saturday Film Series, program info @ artiszen.org
- March 11 Closing Reception & Art Walk After Party, 8–11 pm
- March 12 Youth Video Contest Workshop, 1-3 pm
All events held at Artiszen Cultural Arts Center 337 Georgia St., Vallejo, CA 94590, 707.649.8984, artiszen.org Gallery hours: Friday 12–6 pm & Saturday 11–3 pm
Date(s) - Sat, Feb 27, 2016
3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Artiszen Cultural Arts Center
337 Georgia Street, Vallejo
Upcoming events at this location
- Under the Weight of 45 - Fri, Feb 23, 2018 - 8:00 pm - 9:30 pm
- Under the Weight of 45 - Sat, Feb 24, 2018 - 8:00 pm - 9:30 pm
- Under the Weight of 45 - Sun, Feb 25, 2018 - 8:00 pm - 9:30 pm
- Alicia - Sat, Mar 10, 2018 - 4:00 pm
- Alicia - Sat, Mar 10, 2018 - 7:30 pm