*A production performed entirely by children*
Godspell is a musical by Stephen Schwartz and a book by John-Michael Tebelak. It opened off Broadway on May 17, 1971, and has played in various touring companies and revivals many times since. Being a child of the 1970’s, Godspell has been a long-time favorite musical of mine – not because I am a religious person, I am not, but because the music is wonderful and the story treatment is uplifting in a fun way. How wonderful is the music? One of the musical’s songs “Day by Day” from the original cast album, reached #13 on the Billboard pop singles chart in the summer of 1972.
The structure of the musical is that of a series of parables, mostly based on the Gospel of Matthew (three of the featured parables are recorded only in the Gospel of Luke). The parables are interspersed with a variety of modern music set primarily to lyrics from traditional hymns, with the passion of Christ treated briefly near the end of the performance. It started as a college project performed by students at Carnegie Mellon University and moved to La MaMa Experimental Theatre Club in Greenwich Village. It was then re-scored for an off-Broadway production which became a long-running success. A junior one-act version (ours) has some songs and monologues removed.
$10 – Children under 12 $7
Date(s) - Sun, Nov 20, 2016
Bay Area Stage Theatre on Broadway
515 Broadway St, Vallejo
Upcoming events at this location
- Forbidden Puppet Cabaret - Sat, Aug 19, 2017 - 7:30 pm
- The Lover by Harold Pinter - Fri, Sep 1, 2017 - 8:00 pm - 9:30 pm
- The Lover by Harold Pinter - Sat, Sep 2, 2017 - 8:00 pm - 9:30 pm
- The Lover by Harold Pinter - Sun, Sep 3, 2017 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- The Lover by Harold Pinter - Fri, Sep 8, 2017 - 8:00 pm - 9:30 pm
- The Lover by Harold Pinter - Sat, Sep 9, 2017 - 8:00 pm - 9:30 pm
- The Lover by Harold Pinter - Sun, Sep 10, 2017 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm